These turned out amazing! I substituted regular all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour and was a bit afraid it would turn out dry and less buttery like how shortbreads are meant to be. Definitely hit a home run.
2 sticks/ 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Dash of course salt
zest of 1 medium sized lemon
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
2 cups wholewheat flour
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
1. Mix the butter and granulated sugar in an electric mixer until combined.
2. Add salt, lemon zest, rosemary and the vanilla extract beat until light and fluffy approximately 3 minutes.
3. Add the egg, mix until combined. Reduce the speed of mixer and add flour until just combined.
4. Place a large sheet if plastic wrap on your counter (about the size of a baking pan). Transfer dough mixture lengthwise across the plastic wrap. Roll dough into a log about 1 1/2 inch in diameter. Refrigerate over night.
5. Preheat oven to 375. Cut log in 1/4 inch slices. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment about 1” apart. Bake 15- 20 min. until edges appear golden in color. Allow to cool before serving.
To take it to the next level I also made a lemon basil glaze for the cookies.
Juice of half a lemon
3 cups icing sugar
1 tbs thinly chopped fresh basil
Mix ingredients together and spook enough to cover the top of the cookies. Let the glaze set before serving. If the glaze is too running feel free to add more icing sugar.