1 1/2 cup all purpose flour (I substituted with 1 cup whole wheat flour)
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup room temperature water
3 stalks of scallion (or green onion)
1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
salt & pepper
1. Whisk flour and salt in a bowl.
2. Add water to flour and salt mixture.
3. Using your fingers, slowly combine the flour and water. If the dough is dry or not coming together, slowly add 1 tsp of water at a time until you can form a ball.
4. Turn the dough out of the bowl onto a lightly floured surface. Kneed the dough for about 5 minutes.
5. Use plastic wrap and cover the dough. Let it rest at room temperature for about 30 mins.
6. Divide the dough into fours. Work each section at a time and keep the other pieces covered to prevent from drying out.
7. Use a rolling pin and roll the dough out to about 7″ discs.
8. Lightly brush with toasted sesame oil. Sprinkle about 2 tbs of scallions and a dash of salt & pepper.
9. Roll the dough, like a cigarette, then coil it into a spiral, tucking the tail end underneath. Roll this out to about ¼” thick (to get a disc about 5″ across). Set aside and cover, while you roll out the remaining dough pieces. (See the step-by-step pictures above).
10. Fry 1 pancake at a time, in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, using about 1 tbs olive oil per pancake, until golden brown on each side, 1½ – 2 minutes per side.